Chia seeds are among the healthiest foods on the planet! They are rich in valuable nutrients your body need to function well and can be easily added in your diet. If you don't eat chia seeds already give them a try! They are indeed worth the title of being a superfood!
Chia seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which give them anti-inflammatory properties. They are rich in B vitamins too, which boost your energy levels and help maintain a healthy brain function. Finally, they contain important minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium, and contain lignans which can help fight cancer. Just 2 tablespoons of chia seeds give you 30% of the magnesium you need in a day!
Chia seeds absorb 10 - 12 times their weight in water. This makes them a great tool for weight loss as they help you feel full for a long time and help reduce between meal cravings and overeating.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- Prevent or help in treating constipation
- Decrease inflammation
- Protect against heart disease
- Protect against cancer
- Help control blood sugar minimizing the health consequences of diabetes
- Have high antioxidant capacity
- Help the body detoxify
- Help in weight loss
Tips for Adding Chia Seeds to your Daily Diet
- Make them part of your daily breakfast. Add them in your muesli mix or oatmeal
- Add in smoothies
- Sprinkle on your yogurt
- Add in granola bars
- Make a chia seed pudding by soaking 3-4 tablespoons of chia seeds in coconut or almond milk for a few hours or overnight. Add whole or mashed berries for more nutrition and taste and chopped nuts for extra crunchiness and nutrition.